Do you have a hobby or a certain skillset, and want to earn some extra money? Then you should create your very own online course!
But what if you don’t have the right technical skillset to build a website? Well, the good news is today many online course platforms take care of that for you. And one of the most popular is Thinkific, which we’re going to talk about now.
Welcome to my Thinkific review!
What Is Thinkific?
Thinkific is a complete online course platform that will take care of everything for you. From providing course design templates, hosting your online courses, to marketing and payment processing. The only thing you need to bring to the table is the actual educational content.
Thinkific was designed by educators, for educators. And that specialization pays off. Their themes are specifically designed for the online education sector, and all their tools and resources make sure your business works from the very beginning.
Furthermore, Thinkific features responsive design and has support for multiple languages and currencies that will help you reach students all over the world. All of this will enable you to easily engage with your students, and help them reach their goals.
The affiliate network will also help you to reach potential students that you couldn’t reach on your own. Hence boosting your visibility and sales. And, you can create your own affiliate program from the admin dashboard. Setting your own policies and commission rates. You can even choose to have Thinkific manage your affiliate commission payments on your behalf.
Finally, unlike many other online learning management platforms, Thinkific gives instructors immediate access to their account balance. Something that can really help your cash flow.
Below is a video with an overview of Thinkific and it’s features:
Now, let’s have a closer look at their features:
Thinkific has many great features. And the following are just a few I have used:
- Drag-and-drop course builder. Thinkific supports video, Articulate, Google Docs, surveys, Captivate, and more. You can easily upload videos, create quizzes, and keep your content organized with the course builder. Moreover, you can set pricing, schedule lessons, and automate your content however you like.
- Custom education site builder. You can either use an existing template, or build your own design with HTML/CSS. Moreover, you have the choice to use your dedicated Thinkific site, or connect your course to an already existing website.
- Market and sell courses. Advanced e-commerce options, marketing tools, and software integrations are all designed to help you selling courses. You can offer coupons and promotions, upsells, free trials, and customize payment options. With Thinkific’s e-commerce options, all credit cards are accepted, and can charge your students in over 100 currencies with absolute security.
- Affiliate program. A network of affiliates are already in place and ready to sell your course. Helping you gain traction and visibility you might otherwise have missed
- Ensure student success. Students have access to completion tracking and course discussions, and can receive automated emails, along with other features designed to help them achieve their learning goals. Moreover, you can celebrate their success with customized completion pages and completion certificates.
- Advanced analytics. Thinkific features comprehensive support for analytics and ad tracking, including Google AdWords, Facebook, and retargeting campaigns. You can also integrate Thinkific seamlessly with your existing business tools for even more data.
- Security. Your data is always your own, and can be managed with the tools you use every day. Moreover, secure cloud hosting and daily backups mean you never lose any data. And Thinkific has 24/7 monitoring and 99.9% uptime.
Prices: Ranging from $0 per month to $279 per month depending on the features and plan. And all plans have a 20% discount when purchased annually instead of monthly.
Thinkific vs Teachable
Are you deciding between Teachable vs Thinkific? Well, the two platforms are extremely similar, so it really comes down to small differences. Let’s have a closer look:
- Free Trial. You can use the free trial version of Thinkific and simply pay higher transaction fees and avoid monthly payments. Teachable has no free trial. Advantage: Thinkific.
- Immediate Instructor Payments. On Teachable, you need to enroll in the more expensive Professional plan to access immediate payments. Advantage: Thinkific
- Student Payment Options. Thinkific accepts both Stripe and PayPal, while Teachable only accepts PayPal. Advantage: Thinkific.
- Customer Support. Teachable doesn’t offer phone support to users, only email support, while Thinkific offers both. Advantage: Thinkific.
- Student Feedback. Thinkific offers student course reviews and survey type lessons which are not available on Teachable. With Teachable, completion certificates are only available with the more expensive Professional plan. Advantage: Thinkific.
- Marketing Tools. With Thinkific, you can send personalized automated emails to students, manage and track the progress of students as a group, and have an off-platform sales widget. Advantage: Thinkific.
- Built-in Blog. Teachable includes a blog in your course site. Advantage: Teachable.
- Simplicity. Making and managing online courses on Thinkific is more streamlined, straightforward, and faster. It has an improved workflow over Teachable. Advantage: Thinkific.
Truthfully, both platforms are extremely similar in features and price and you need to line them up side by side to identify these small differences. But it’s worth noting that, for almost every one of these small differences, Thinkific comes out ahead. In small but meaningful ways.
Finally, it’s also worth noting something that doesn’t show up in head-to-head comparisons: feel. People who used both platforms almost inevitably end up preferring Thinkific. Thinkific is just a bit more enjoyable to work with.
Alright, we’re near the end of our Thinkific review, so let’s sum things up:
Thinkific Review: Pros and Cons
- Very affordable prices make Thinkific great for beginners.
- Easy to learn and use for both instructors and teachers.
- And no coding required. Just drag and drop.
- Simple to upload and use existing course material you may have already developed.
- Instructors can access their account balances immediately.
- No support for real-time webinars or conferencing.
Thinkific Review: Conclusion
That’s a wrap, folks! And I am going to conclude my Thinkific review by giving them 4,5 out of 5 stars. Though there are many reasons why they’re my favorite learning management system, a few stands out:
- First, Thinkific is specifically designed for online courses, giving instructors exactly the features they need. And nothing they don’t.
- They also streamlines and simplifies the course creation, publishing, and marketing process so you can focus on what you do best.
- The courses are attractive, responsive, and provide a solid, easy-to-understand experience for students.
- Thinkific is more affordably priced than many other online course platforms. They even have a FREE plan!
- Thinkific offers reasonably priced white labeling, so your brand can be front and center of your courses.
- Finally, Thinkific features instant instructor payouts. While most other online course platforms doesn’t.
In closing, I would like to point out Thinkific is particularly great for some users: First, Thinkific is the best online course platform for beginners. Mostly because of their low prices and ease of use. And, since they also have the best upload feature, Thinkific is also the best option for those who wish to reuse their existing course materials.
PS: In closing, I hope my Thinkific review was helpful when you’re making your choice. I also recommend that you look around our site to learn about other learning software for small business owners. For example our best Mac cleaner and dr.fone review articles. And if you have any further questions, don’t hesitate to send us an e-mail using our contact form.
Tim is an engineer and small business owner from Northern California. He’s an outgoing creative writer and tech blogger who has a passion for helping people and building creativity in the mind, through outstanding how-to guides, articles, and honest software reviews.