If you are a die-hard gamer with a large group of gaming friends, you must have used Discord for many reasons.
It’s a free chat application, specifically designed for the gamers. It enables them to share screens, exchange voice, and text messages while playing games or doing any other activity online.
With it’s user-friendly interface and efficient VoIP features, it has excited many users so far. No doubt it has become an ideal choice for PC gamers. Today it has 250 million+ users accounts and 14 million + daily active users today.
However, this popular application has some issues as well. The commonly reported issue is “Discord Screen Share Audio Not Working.” It’s very annoying when you are in the middle of a call and want to share your screen but your audio stops working.
The whole communication becomes turbulent, resulting in frustration.
But how to share audio on Discord without any annoying issues? Don’t worry; no problem is born without a solution. There could be multiple reasons for this error. It could be bad audio drivers, application compatibility or audio feature might be in its initial phase. We’ll discuss the troubleshooting solutions to resolve this issue so you can continue using the application without any hassle.
Try the below solutions one by one until you get audio to work
Solution #1: Reboot your System
Some issues get fixed by restarting the system. So, when you face this error “Discord screen share audio not working” on Windows 7, 8 or 10, simply restart your computer.
Now launch Discord and check if Discord screen share audio is working properly. If the problem persists, then try the following solution one by one until it starts working.
Solution #2: Check the Microphone
If restarting your computer didn’t fix the issue you need to check your microphone connection and settings. The following are the steps that you need to follow.
1. Check if your microphone is properly connected.
2. Check if the microphone is muted. If yes, unmute it.
3. Make sure “Input Device” is set to the device you’re using. To do this, click on “User Settings” icon at the bottom of the left menu.
4. Finally, try changing to “Push to Talk” instead of “Voice Activity.“
What does this mean? Well, Discord can detect the voice activity and then it transmits over the internet. However, sometimes this feature may not work properly and thus you encounter the issue of audio not working while sharing a screen via Discord. As a fix, you can set the audio detection to manual by switching to “Push to Talk.” In this case, you will need to push a specific key to record the audio. Follow the steps below in order to enable this feature.
i. Click on “User Settings” at the bottom of the left menu.
ii. Click on “Voice & Audio”.
iii. Check-mark “Push to Talk”.
This should fix the problem. However, if you still face the issues then run then follow the next steps.
Solution #3: Run Discord as administrator
Running the application as an administrator will allow it to use the resources which are not accessible to it with its current access level.
1. Find the shortcut icon of Discord on Desktop. In case you don’t find it on the Desktop, open the default installation path of the application i.e. This PC > C > Program Files.
2. Right-click on the Discord’s executable file, and click on “Properties”. Its properties window will appear.
3. Select the “Compatibility” tab. Check-mark “Run this program as administrator”. Click “Apply” to save the changes. And then click the “OK” button.
4. Run Discord and check if the error still occurs.
5. You can also try plugging the headset into the other ports and run Discord as admin.
Solution #4: Update your audio driver
Audio drivers are one of the main components that connect the hardware to the operating system and applications like Discord. Sometimes because of bad or outdated audio drivers, the applications using the audio features are unable to function properly. This could be one of the reasons that you encounter errors like “Discord screen share audio not working.”
It’s therefore essential that you have correct and updated drivers installed on your system. Follow the steps mentioned below to update your audio driver.
1. Open Device Manager. To do so, Press Window + R. Run dialog box will appear. Enter devmgmt.msc and click “OK” button.
2. Expand “Audio Inputs and Outputs”.
3. Right-click on your microphone driver, and then click on “Uninstall device”.
4. Now right-click on “Audio inputs and outputs” and click “Scan for hardware changes”.
5. Your system will automatically install the default drivers.
6. Once the drivers are reinstalled, restart your computer. Now launch Discord and use the check the screen share feature to see if the issue is resolved.
It the issue remains, visit your manufacturer’s website to download the latest version of the audio drivers. For installation, simply double click on the executable file that you downloaded.
It’s recommended to update all the drivers. This is because sometimes even if one driver is faulty, the application does not work properly.
Solution #5: Check Discord Settings
Besides performing other fixes for the screen share audio problem, use the following settings for your Discord application to get rid of the error message.
1. Use minimized screen (Some users have reported audio issues with Full Screen Mode)
2. Got to User Settings > Voice & Video > disable “Ensure Quality of Service High Packet Priority”.
3. Go to User Settings > Voice & Video > Audio Subsystem, and select the “Legacy” option.
4. Discord usually automatically detects the activity you are performing and thus functions accordingly. However, sometimes the application confuses, especially when you are screen sharing between games and applications.
To avoid this issue, make sure the program screen is added to Discord. Go to User Settings > Game Activity > click on Add it > click Add Game that you want to focus on.
Solution #6: Check Windows Settings
You shall check the following two settings on your windows if the issue of “Discord screen share audio not working” persists.
1. Clear Discord Roaming data
Temporary Discord files and improper account settings can also cause the issue. To fix this, clear Discord roaming data as mentioned in the steps below.
1. Open Task Manager by pressing Shift+ Ctrl + Esc.
2. In the Processes tab, select Discord and click on End task button to exit Discord completely. Then close Task Manager.
3. Open Run window by pressing Win + R. Type %appdata% and click “OK” button. The Roaming folder will be opened.
4. Right-click the Discord folder and then select Delete.
2. Check Windows Audio Settings
Make sure Windows Audio settings are set to “Allow apps to access your microphone“.
1. Open “Microphone privacy settings” from the windows search bar. Click “Open”.
2. “Allow apps to access your microphone” option should be turned on. Turn it on if it’s not.
3. You will see the list of applications against which you can turn on or turn off the microphone access. Find Discord and turn on microphone access for it. Or, you might find Discord under the list “Allow desktop apps to access your microphone”. In this case, turn on the microphone access for all the apps.
4. Now launch Discord and check if the issue returns.
Solution #7: Temporarily disable your antivirus
Some users have reported that antivirus is the problem when you hear no sound at all while running Discord. To confirm if this is the case for you, disable your antivirus temporarily and check if the problem remains.
If the screen share audio problem with Discord disappears, then consult your antivirus software vendor for advice, or install a different one.
Solution #8: Reset the Voice Settings
Improper Discord voice settings could also be the reason for the audio issue. If this is the case, resetting the voice settings to default should help. Follow the steps mentioned below to do so.
1. Go to User Settings > Voice & Video > scroll down and then click on Reset Voice Settings.
2. Click Okay.
3. Now share your screen again and test if the issue is fixed. If this didn’t fix your Discord screen share no sound issue, try the next solution as mentioned below.
Solution #9: Update Discord
The Discord development team of Discord regularly releases updates for bug fixes of the application.
It could be the case that a recent release has affected the screen sharing feature. Thus a new update is needed to fix it.
Follow the steps mentioned below to update Discord to fix this issue.
1. Open Run dialog box by pressing Windows + R.
2. Type “localappdata% and click “OK” button.
3. Open Discord
4. Double click the file “Update” and wait for the process to complete.
5. Launch Discord and test your issue. If the Discord screenshare no audio issue is not fixed, try the next solution explained below;
Solution #10: Reinstall Discord
If none of the suggested solutions worked for you, damaged Discord files might be the problem in your case. Reinstalling Discord could possibly fix your Discord screen share no audio issue. Follow the steps below to reinstall the application.
1. Open “Control Panel” from the windows search bar. Click Open.
2. Set View by Click Uninstall a program under Programs.
3. Right-click Discord and click Uninstall.
4. Download the latest version of Discord. Open the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions for reinstallation.
5. Launch Discord and try screen sharing. Hopefully, the audio issue will exist no more.
However, if all of the above fixes for the Discord screenshare audio issue fail, use the Voice Debug Central.
In closing, I hope my Discord screen share audio guide was helpful. In addition, I recommend that you look around our site to learn about other online software for small business owners. Also, if you have any questions about this Discord screen share audio guide or something else, don’t hesitate to send me an e-mail using my contact form.