|(My #1 Pick)|
|Windows & Mac||$29.95|
|(My Budget Pick)|
|(My Runner Up)|
Typing speed has become a necessity to excel at work today.
So, whether you’re a student, an employee, or a die-hard gamer, your efficiency will be judged by your typing speed.
But how do I develop rapid typing you may ask? Actually, that’s not difficult at all. Just use a typing program! A simple typing app will offer you typing challenges, engaging games, performance analysis graphs, and much more.
However, a quick Google search reveals many typing programs. Programs with different features and price ranges. Some are even free! So how can you possibly know which is the best typing software to pick?
No sweat! You see, I did the hard work for you. I went through the popular ones and ranked them based on criteria such as features, price, ease of use, etc.
So without further ado, here are my top 10 list of the best typing programs you can refer to as an aspiring typist.
Table Of Content
- Best Typing Software: Typesy
- Best Budget Typing Software: Typing.com
- Runner Up: Typing Instructor
- KAZ Typing Program
- UltraKey Online
- Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing
- Typing Master
- GS Typing Tutor
- Master Key
- Best Typing Software FAQ
- Best Typing Program in 2020: Final Words
Best Typing Software: Typesy
Typesy was built by experts and is the most popular typing tutor today. It cleverly combines exercises, games, video tutorials, and progress reports to help develop and strengthen your speed and accuracy.
Typesy will determine your current skill level, and then suggest goals. This will be your start point. The lessons are based on world-class information sources like Wikipedia.org, but you can also create customized exercises to suit you or your students’ exact needs.
So, whether you’re an adult or student, beginner, a professional, or a home teacher, Typsey has got all your learning needs covered!
Price: The price is $29.95 and that includes 5 licenses.
System Requirements: Compatible with Windows XP/Vista/7/8/10 and Mac OS.
- Typesy offers you two modes: Homeschool (If you want to collectively teach your kids or a class) or Individual (For self-learning).
- It comes with a user-friendly interface, a cutting-edge algorithm for optimized learning, and many different teaching strategies. It takes you step by step until you get full command over the keyboard.
- Typsey also teaches ergonomics and provides video training lessons which are great for learning accurate fast typing. These training sessions are engaging and help you achieve the level of expertise you desire.
- Typsey is a cloud-based typing platform and thus all your progress is safely stored at all times. Not only this, but you can also track your performance goals and share your success with friends on Facebook. Furthermore, you can also work in groups and analyze your improving skills over time.
- The most amazing feature of Typsey is that it offers you learning using 16 powerful games. With practice, you not only learn to type faster, but also have great fun during the drill!
Best Budget Typing Software: Typing.com
This one of the best free typing software today. In short, Typing.com saves you from the hassle of downloading and installing the software. Just signup and begin your typing lessons!
Price: This is a free online tutor. However, to remove ads it costs $35 for a lifetime subscription.
System Requirements: Since it’s a web-based learning platform, you can always access it on your computer regardless of which operating system (PC or Mac) you’re using. But of course, you need a good internet connection.
- With its friendly user interface, it offers you typing lessons with three difficulty levels: Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced.
- Digital Literacy & Coding Essentials: The tutor also enriches your typing experience with digital literacy. While working on your skills, you also get the basic knowledge of the computer, internet, real-life work environment, computer safety tips, basic coding knowledge, HTML syntax, and much more. At the end of each training video, you get a quiz to solve and can unlock an achievement upon successful completion. You are then rewarded with badges for your profile.
- Typing Practice: It offers you unlimited typing practice in the form of lessons, stories, interesting facts, jokes, and more.
- Typing Games: You can also learn to touch type faster by playing fun interactive games. Numerous word games encourage you to achieve accuracy and speed.
Runner Up: Typing Instructor
Typing Instructor is an innovative and fun typing learner. Not only will you get up to speed fast, but you will for sure stay engaged since the program uses exciting arcade-style games that’s suitable for students at all levels: beginner, intermediate or advanced.
People of all ages will benefit and enjoy this excellent typing software. Even professional typists.
Price: It offers attractive weekly, monthly and annual plans. You can save up to 50 % with the annual package priced at $29.99.
System Requirements: All you need is a good internet. Since it’s a web-based tool, you can access it on both the Windows and Mac operating systems.
This is a highly interactive typing tool that comes with advanced features for an online typing tutor.
- Advanced level of arcade games which make typing even more fun.
- It offers 20+ typing courses that are nicely organized and suitable for a smooth learning sequence.
- It also provides typing tests and exercises to test your speed and accuracy. You can also import your articles for practice.
- The best thing: all lessons have voiceover instructions, on-screen keyboard, and guide hands to demonstrate correct fingers placement on the keyboard.
- Also, you get real-time feedback to see your progress as you type.
- And you get a certificate of accomplishment after the course is finished.
You can quickly build your keyboarding skills with the challenging typing games and exercises the Typing Instructor offers you.
It’s another great but simple rapid typing tutor for focused training.
Price: It’s free to download. You can also purchase it online here.
System Requirements: It’s easy to install on Windows XP/7/8/10 and MAC.
- It’s very easy to use KeyBlaze due to its simple user interface.
- It’s designed for people with different skill levels. Whether you’re a kid, teen, adult, or a professional seeking to improve your typing, this software can help you achieve your typing speed goals.
- This tool helps you learn how to correctly implement capitals and punctuation. The software will also show you how to correctly place your fingers on the keyboard.
- It also comes loaded with typing games such as Key Blizzard and Typing Hero that offer you speed typing challenges. These games are very fun and addictive to play.
- Furthermore, the program has dictated audio exercises to practice good transcription. And it provides many proses, poems, paragraphs for practice typing exercises.
- KeyBlaze is a great tool to advance your typing. However, it’s a bit boring and not as colorful and fun as many of the other apps.
KAZ Typing Program
Kaz is another great typing program which is suitable from age six to 99. It offers a unique training method for building excellent typing, and they claim to make you learn efficient typing in just 90 minutes!
So how do they do this? Well, Kaz uses something called the “brain balance technique” to increase learning capabilities. In short, it works on 11 words phrases, and trains you how to use your three senses (sound, touch, and sight) simultaneously, which ultimately will teach you how to use both hands with an active mind. Cool right?!
Price: Depending on the version, the price ranges from £24.95 – £75
System Requirements: It’s compatible with Windows 7/8/10 and Mac OS.
- It’s available in 4 major editions: Home (Adult, Family, Junior), SEN/Dyslexia (for the people suffering from dyslexia), Education and Business
- It’s easy to use with a very user-friendly interface.
- UK. and U.S. keyboards are available along with accents and vocabulary.
- Offers crash courses to learn different keyboard typing in just 4 hours.
- Kaz offers 5 promising courses to learn touch typing:
- Flying Start – (introduction course)
- The Basics – (teaching A-Z keys)
- Just Do It – (practicing exercises for A-Z keys)
- And The Rest – (training punctuation keys)
- Speed Builder – (improving speed and accuracy)
- One of the few programs that offers lessons for people suffering from dyslexia.
Ultrakey Online is another great online typing tutor. It helps you master rapid typing with its unique lessons based on scientifically proven methodologies.
Furthermore, customizable exercises and clear-cut instructions are provided to gain full command on the keyboard. You can also request a free trial before buying a subscription.
System Requirements: It’s compatible with Windows and Mac OS.
- Available for personal use, family or enterprise with different license requirements.
- Ultrakey Online enhances your learning potential with the use of voice commands, training videos, and attractive animations.
- Furthermore, it offers advanced self-testing and record-keeping features.
- Claims to boost your touch typing capacity with just 20 minutes per day over 8 hours.
- It gives you the flexibility to customize your exercises according to your profession or mood.
- Offers certification upon the successful completion of the course and final typing test.
- You can keep track of your goals and measure your performance.
- Different touch typing games make it more fun to use.
Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing
Built on the success-based approach, this is an interesting touch typing tutor that offers step by step learning. With its innovative exercises, you can master rapid typing in no time.
Mavis Beacon uses engaging ways to keep you motivated for achieving your typing goals. And the software celebrates your success after every phase before you jump into the next one.
Price: The price ranges from $9.99 to $29.99 depending on the version.
System Requirements: It’s available to download on both Windows and Mac OS.
- It’s available in personal, family, kids, and business editions.
- It comes with 18 training videos and 12 engaging themes to keep you motivated throughout the learning process.
- Mavis Beacon uses challenging quizzes at the end of every lesson to evaluate your progress.
- Lessons are made more interesting by using interesting games that keep you focused on your goals.
- Their seven steps approach makes it easy to keep a record of your progress, to identify your strengths and to overcome your shortcomings. The seven stages are:
- Set your personal goals
- Learn good typing posture
- Practice your technique
- Learn new keys – one step at a time
- Build your skill by practice
- Practice excellent typing
- Celebrate your success!
Typing Master is another great typing tutor for Windows. It’s suitable for building and evaluating your speed and typing accuracy, and the program offers comprehensive lessons, interactive games, and challenging tests to help you enhance your typing abilities.
Price: The standard edition is available in $19.90 and the Premium edition costs $29.90.
System Requirements: It’s compatible with Windows Vista/7/8/10 (Not available for Mac OS).
- Typing Master offers 10 hours of interactive courses.
- A step-by-step approach is used to learn typing effectively.
- Designed heavily on “vision-based learning” as visuals enhance the learning potential of an individual.
- It gives you the possibility to create customized performance reports which gives you a possibility to identify your weak areas.
- It’s typing analysis widget records your activities. It then draws conclusions and provides helpful suggestions about your weakness.
- Like many other typing tutors, Typing Master also comes loaded with exciting games.
- You can download the free trial version before you buy a license.
GS Typing Tutor
GS Typing Tutor is another efficient and highly customizable typing software enriched with multiples features that boost one’s typing skills within days.
This tutor is suitable for both kids and adults, and with its unique guidelines, it serves as one of the best typing tutors to develop advanced rapid typing in a short time. It also comes with a trial version which makes it more attractive for beginners.
- Designed with a simple interface that includes attractive visual elements.
- Offers 3 main courses:
- Basic course (focus on learning the basic keys)
- Special marks course (focus on complete typing exercises)
- Numeric keypad course (focus on improving speed)
- It comes with 5 amusing games for fun learning.
- Has support for 28+ keyboard layouts.
- The professional speed tests, reviews, and reports generated by the software help you fine-tune your typing skills.
- The software supports multiple users. Each user’s preferences and progress are stored separately.
Master Key is a simple yet great typing software that comes fully equipped with useful instructions, advanced exercises, and a tracking module where you can monitor your progress.
System Requirements: Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista (32/64bit)
- Suitable for all skill levels and ages. However, kids might not find it attractive because of the dull interface.
- Supports Dvorak, AZERTY and QWERTZ keyboards.
- Optional audio feedback with actual typewriter audio.
Best Typing Software FAQ
1. What is typing software?
Typing software is either a downloadable program or web-based tool that helps you learn proper keyboard usage. It boosts the learner’s ability to type fast and correctly, and the standard features include typing lessons, typing tests to check speed and accuracy, and guides for correct hands positioning on the keyboard.
2. What are the benefits of typing software?
Some of the main benefits of a touch typing software are:
- Speed: This is one of the main objectives of every typing software. With intensive training, anyone can accomplish a typing speed of 60 words per minute.
- Accuracy: Writing with correct spellings, capital words, and correct punctuation is something every typist strives for. Hence, a good typing software contains detailed lessons and carefully designed tests to help the student achieve as much accuracy as he/she can.
- Time: this is another advantage that typing software offers. Once you learn typing fast and with great accuracy, you can save a huge amount of time by efficiently typing your texts.
- Self Study: The student can access the lessons whenever he/she desires, and do it at their own pace.
- Focus: Typing programs helps you focus on the screen instead of your keyboard. Hence productivity is increased.
- Confidence at work: A good typing speed is a measure of one’s efficiency today. It’s considered a necessary skill, especially in the IT industry. Thus, you can make use of a typing tutor so you can work with confidence at the office, and further your career.
3. What to look for when buying typing software?
Always look for the following features when purchasing your typing software:
- It’s compatible with your system.
- The cost justifies the features it provides.
- It contains extensive typing tutorials.
- The lessons cover all the keyboard keys that you are using.
- It has enough lessons for achieving your typing goals.
- It features a mechanism for generating performance reviews.
- You will be able to track your progress.
- It helps you identify your strong and weak typing areas.
- It has tests or quizzes that you can use to evaluate your skills.
- An interface engaging enough to keep you motivated.
- A good typing software is always backed by technical support.
4. How much does typing software cost?
Typing software usually doesn’t’ cost more than $30 for personal use. However, if you’re looking for something the whole family or multiple students can use, then cost can be as high as $199 depending on what company you’re buying from.
Best Typing Program in 2020: Final Words
Now that you know about the importance of good typing skills, and you’re also familiar with the best typing software, you can make the best use of your time to not only learn typing, but also enjoy the typing skill development process.
These programs are designed for people like you who are motivated to seek improvement in their skills. Using a good rapid typing tutor, you can efficiently educate yourself on how to operate a keyboard with perfection. In the end, your inspiring typing skills can make you stand out from the crowd.
So, go ahead and install or signup to one of the platforms to achieve your speed and accuracy targets within days!
In closing, I hope my best typing software review was helpful when you’re making your choice. I recommend that you also look around our site to learn about other online software for small business owners. For example our best Mac cleaner and dr.fone review articles. And, if you have any questions about this best typing software reviews or something else, don’t hesitate to send me an e-mail using my contact form.
Tim is an engineer and small business owner from Northern California. He’s an outgoing creative writer and tech blogger who has a passion for helping people and building creativity in the mind, through outstanding how-to guides, articles, and honest software reviews.